1. Why do you think Comfort Taxi was able to attract 16,000 taxi drivers to adopt the GPS dispatch system within two years, whereas Taiwan Taxi managed to recruit only 6,700 members over a seven-year span?
- Some drivers quit because they did not receive enough iCall dispatches to justify their subscription fees.
- Some people think the dispatch system is not fair, that others receive more dispatches than they do.
- There is no point in joining any taxi company. Taipei is suffering from an over-supply of vehicles. There are hundreds of taxis cruising the streets and many of them are empty. Passengers in Taipei don’t have the patience to book a taxi. When they need one, they just go out grab one.
- With insufficient education and training on GPS-dispatching functions, some drivers think that the GPS is actually useless. They still have to work hard to find customers.
2. How has Taiwan Taxi‘s business model evolved over time, and how does this influence the potential value and usage of iCall?
- It has changed from using Radiophone to using GPS system for dispatching.
- Drivers with education and training on GPS-dispatching functions make more money than before.
- Customers are easier than ever to get a taxi service.
Although taxi services are over-supplied in Taipei, it still can grow by attracting drivers trained with knowledge of GPS-dispatch functions, or by training its current employees about GPS-dispatch functions. It would be better if it applies entry barriers for becoming taxi drivers.